Pug

Pug

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Lights Out Time!!!!

For those of you that may not remember what happened last year when the Patriots travelled to San Diego to take on the Chargers (who were heavily favored to go to their first Super Bowl trip) in an AFC Divisional match-up, here's a bit of a reminder:

Shawne Merriman, linebacker extraordinaire for the Chargers, went on San Diego television and guaranteed a win, proclaiming that he would be all over Brady and up in his shit. Fast forward to the end of the game when Nate Kaeding, the Chargers golden boy kicker, missed the chip shot that would've tied the game. Patriots win on the Chargers home turf and then proceeded to do the "Lights Out" dance that made Merriman famous in the middle of Qualcomm, thus enraging LaDainian Tomlinson, NFL's premiere running back. LT later proclaimed that the Patriots were "classless" and that was a reflection of their coach, Bill Belichek (whom I refer to as God).

That being said, everyone in San Diego is now viewing this upcoming AFC Championship match-up as a possiblity for revenge. In my eyes, it is simple: If you talk smack before the game, you should be able to take it when the team you guaranteed that you would beat bests you. Charger fans would like nothing better than to pull an upset, go to their first Super Bowl AND get to dance in the middle of Gillette Stadium (although I maintain that if the Chargers were to pull off such an amazing feat, Patriots fans would most likely storm the field and beat the shit out of those marauders with crowbars).

This has made for an interesting week thus far. Of course, true to my usual wiseass nature, I am donning my Brady jersey every single day up until the game is over. I personally enjoy the hisses and the barbs that come my way from the shadowy corners of FOX6's corridors ... this has prompted the "diehard" Charger fans (I say this because three years ago, the Chargers didn't have any fans but suddenly that bandwagon is laden with a bunch of cocky trash-talkers) to start talking their shit, proclaiming an upset and insisting that they will be the team to end the Pats winning streak. My favorite comment still is when a coworker mumbled almost incoherently: "They have to lose sometime." To which I replied, "Why?"

Also putting a bug up the Charger fans' butts is the fact that Junior Seau, who played for the Chargers but then retired because he wasn't being utilized, came out of retirement to play for our hometown boys in blue. I would like nothing more than to see Seau get a few sacks in on Rivers this weekend. That is, if Rivers even plays at all.

Nothing against the Chargers. They do have a good team this year and the way they played the Colts last Sunday, with several key players hurt and on the sidelines, was laudable. I even congratulated Charger fans on the great game their team played. But let's be honest, I want the Patriots to steamroll over the Bolts on Sunday... just so I can sit smug in my chair come Monday morning. No, I won't rub it in. I'll just let the arrogance roll off of me in waves and infuse itself into the hallways, thus jabbing at all those fans who are too cocky for reason. I mean, if your team has never won a Super Bowl and you're going up against an undefeated team who sports the likes of Tom Brady (MVP!!!), Randy Moss and Wes Welker, do you really think one should be talking smack and eagerly (and unreasonably) predicting victory? Silly, silly Charger fans. For that reason alone, I hope that the Pats not only win but I hope it's a freaking blowout.

Robincita's wish: Pats 55, Chargers 3. Let's see if we can bring that wish to fruition, shall we?

4 comments:

Christy and Cynthia said...

LOL...I love you and miss you!!! I literally heard your voice telling that story as I read it.

Scottito said...

The chargers also already had their chance at revenge earlier this year and i believe they lost 38-14...how is it that they now feel that they get 2 games to try for revenge??? I will go on record as a Raider fan and say I know the Pats r going to whoop the Chargers ass and I will be cheering for them to do so. Shut all these bandwagon jumping temporary charger fans up already!! These are the same fans that wanted the coach fired after 5 games and now they think he is the almighty!!

Robincita said...

Damn Skippy, babycakes! You tell 'em!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi it's me, I am also visiting this web site regularly, this web site is in fact pleasant and the people are genuinely sharing good thoughts.

Have a look at my site - laser cellulite treatment